Don't Forget These 25 Things to Keep in Mind About Your Finances Come December!
1. For return on investment, the best home renovation is to upgrade an old bathroom. Kitchens come in second.
2. It's worth refinancing your mortgage when you can cut your interest rate by at least one point.
3. Spend no more than 2 1/2 times your income on a home. For a down payment, it's best to come up with at least 20%.
4. Your total housing payments should not exceed 28% of your gross income. Total debt payments should come in under 36%.
5. Never hire a roofer, driveway paver or chimney sweep who is going door to door.